Saturday, December 04, 2004

Day 2.

Went to see the British shorts at the Kara Film Festival today. Was highly dissappointed, a couple of them left me thinking - who let this run at the Festival? Nevertheless, there were 2 very good shorts, one - Brick Lane, a story about a Pakistani boy in UK and how he ends up stealing a Saab, to impress his crush. The ending of the short film was incredibly hilarious and the director deserves to be commended for adding such a twist,

The other short that is worth mentioning is Wish, a story of a young man who's taking care of a Vietnamese/Chinese elderly diabetes patient. That short film was very touching indeed and again showed, that love has no barrier.

Also attended the world premiere of the documentary, A Decent Samosa, Ya, which was about various Indians living in UK who are dabbling in remixes, reinventing old Indian songs, teaching the dhol, and to sum it up reinventing cultures and trying to find, in metaphorical terms, A Decent Samosa. A good movie, but one felt that it dragged on a bit towards the end. The director of the movie was present as well, and according to her, the movie was all about the clash of cultures, reinventing culture and finding one's identity.

6 Comments:

Blogger polo said...

My good friend, Hammad (S. Khan) will be there, doing a talk I think. Go up to him and tell him he was briliant and I sent you.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Ambreen Haider said...

I remember I went to one of the shorts last year thanks to that experience, my friends have ditched me at KFF this year. dead. dry. and boring.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great diary!! Just a suggestion, i'm sure u are accompanied by others so it wud be great to know what they're thinking about the movies! like more ppl to post on this blog? it'll give more vareity of opinions......just a thought....and plz post more picsss! :-)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Acro said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:11 PM  
Blogger atrophying said...

Zeeshan: When is Hammad doing a talk?

Anonymous: I'm doing this blog for SPIDER - so basically its my review - but if anyone has seen any of the movies I've mentioned, comment away! I'll include it in the review. And I'll post more pics soon InshAllah :)

7:47 PM  
Blogger polo said...

No clue.

I spoke to him a few days ago, he said he'd be in Karachi on Friday. It's in the next few days is all I know.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home